Tuesday, April 2, 2013

1 Nephi 18 "Up to the Mount"


In 1 Nephi 18, Nephi says he goes "up to the mount oft" during the time in which he is building the ship. I had a couple of thoughts on this. First, how important is it for us to also "go up to the mount" while building our version of "ships" - not after the manner of man. I feel in the church there are many things we do that are not "after the manner of men" but as the Lord would have us do them. It is important that we go to the Lord to receive instruction and support and encouragement as to how to do the things he asks us to do in this life. Second, in 1 Nephi 11 and Nephi's vision of the tree of life, he states, "For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain..." Is this the "mount" he was talking of? Not necessarily, a physical mountain but a spiritual hiding place that he could go to when in the right mindset?

No comments:

Post a Comment