Tuesday, April 2, 2013

1 Nephi 2:15 "My Father Dwelt in a Tent"

One of the things I noticed early on in this reading of the Book of Mormon is actually something I'd originally thought last year when I was trying to complete all of the standard works in one year. In reading the popular "My father dwelt in a tent" and then reading about how everything in the book is for a purpose, I started to wonder about the purpose of that line. Shortly after learning of the tent, Nephi and his brothers go to get the plates from Laban. In that narrative, it talks about all of the wealth Lehi had accumulated and how they use it to try to bargain with Laban for the plates. In some ways, it seems as if "My father dwelt in a tent" was Nephi's way of demonstrating just all of the superficial things his father had given up for his cause and because of his conviction.

No comments:

Post a Comment