Thursday, April 24, 2014

Be Still

Growing up, my pastor's favorite scripture was Psalm 46:10, which includes, "Be still and know that I am God."  There are very few still moments in our home.  One stillness that I love that is almost guaranteed is that The Lion will just cuddle up tight in the rocking chair with me before naps and bedtime.  I often stay there way too long, holding my little man and cherishing the quiet moments to just think.  Frequently, I have more spiritual thoughts during those times, thinking of the eternal nature of the family and wondering how in the world I have enough room in my heart for these amazing boys.  (And, let's be honest, sometimes I am thinking about what I want as my "finally got them in bed" snack.)

Today, I thought about it from the other perspective.  I considered the idea that one of the reasons I cherish those still moments is because it allows me to just love that little boy while he is still and knows that I am his mom.  In some ways, I thought to interpret the scripture as to say, "Be still and know that I love you and will do all I can for your happiness."  As a mom, how much I wish for the chance to just hold those boys tight and let them know of my love for them and my desire for their success.  With that in mind, I consider how much I must strive to be better about being still so that my Heavenly Father can help me to remember that He is God.

I am grateful for those still moments and for the wonderful boys I get to cherish during the quiet time.  I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who, when I do my part, will reassure me of His hand in my life and His devotion to my happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment