Saturday, November 8, 2014

Prayers in Time of Need

A few weeks ago, LJ's teachers mentioned some concern about some of his social interactions.  It was odd to us because, from our perspective he didn't demonstrate the behaviors they had observed.  Being a mom, I was a bit concerned and reached out to friends who had spent time with LJ and seen him interact with other children.  There wasn't a major concern with any of them but I still intended to bring it up at his well-child check.  Then we attended his birthday celebration at school.  I had never seen him as unsure of himself as he was that day.  It kind of broke my heart that he was so lacking in confidence.  I felt that it would come in time but I just wanted him to feel comfortable and like he had a friend.  I really started pleading during my prayers that he would be feel confident in himself and recognize he could be himself and that people there cared about him.  At the same time, I didn't want to push him at all.  If he's an introvert like his parents, I don't want him to feel pressured to be super-social and out-going.  I just wanted him to have friends and not be an outcast.  A couple of weeks later we went in for parent/teacher conferences.  His teachers told us that so many of the observations they had mentioned were no longer a concern.  They asked if we had talked to him about it at all since the change seemed to happen overnight.  We hadn't but I believe there was some divine intervention involved in helping him to open up a bit and make some friends.  Now, when we leave, it takes a while to get into the car because he is so busy saying his goodbyes to everyone.

Apparently, he has caught on to the comfort that comes from prayer.  He is not the best at sitting still for family prayer or his personal prayers before bed but we do have evidence that he says them when we aren't around.  Doug was in his office when LJ came upstairs to get something.  LJ thought he was alone and Doug heard him say, "Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for this day...in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.  That's enough!"  Later, I asked him if he had said a prayer while he was upstairs and he said that he did because he was scared and after the prayer he didn't feel scared anymore.  Admittedly, it was not a very eloquent prayer but I'll take it.  And I'm certain Heavenly Father will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment