Wednesday, September 2, 2015

1 Nephi 15:24 Dodging vs Body Armor

First, I talk about American Ninja Warrior and now, we are on to body armor.  This blog is taking a violent turn.

I've been thinking a lot lately, (and may have done a post or two about this topic), about how the Holy Ghost is self-preserving.  It makes sure that you do things that keep you on the straight and narrow which, in turn, help keep it as your constant companion. 

In reading 1 Nephi 15:24, which is discussing the meaning of the Rod of Iron, "And I said unto them that it was the word of God; and whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast to it, they would never perish; neither would the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction."

I don't like the idea of fiery darts flying at me physically and am grateful that the Holy Ghost can help me recognize the spiritual darts.  However, I think more often than not, the Holy Ghost is going to guide me to just stay out of the crossfire.  He's going to whisper little things like, "change the channel now", "not that movie...I don't care if it is PG13", "don't look in that direction", "read your scriptures", etc.  By whispering those little things, I don't even end up in the range of those fiery darts.  Instead of standing in the middle of a hailstorm of spirit-sucking terribleness and trying to withstand the darts with spiritual body armor, the spirit is going to do its best to keep me out of the way.  We'll just save the defensive functionality of the Armor of God to help those things that I can't control that come into my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment