Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Setting Spiritual Goals

I'm currently reading the book "Drawing on the Powers of Heaven" by Grant Von Harrison.  I originally read portions of it during my mission and remember it being very good.  This time around, I can definitely say that it is life-changing.  I've never read the book "The Secret" but apparently it is the spiritual-version of that book in regards to setting and achieving goals.  After reading this morning, I really started pondering what types of spiritual goals I need to be setting at this time in my life.  Should it be something in regards to my calling in Primary?  Or how to improve myself - just as me, not as a mom, not as a wife but just as me?  Or maybe in regards to my new job?  (As of tomorrow I will no longer be a "full-time" stay-at-home mom and it is a bit daunting.  I read this post earlier and was a little sad.  I'm grateful that I will only be working 24hr/week and that the boys will be home with their Dad while I'm at work but I think it will still be a bit of an adjustment.)

Later in the morning, Time Out for Women (TOFW) sent a tweet asking people what their favorite memory was from their program this past year.  I replied, "Ending up in the restroom line with Hilary Weeks.  Chatting in the bathroom must mean we are great friends."  As seen in this post, I'm a big fan of Hilary's book "Bedtime and Naptime and Bedtime and Naptime: The Simple Joys of a Mom's Life".  (If you go to the link for the book, be sure to watch the video of her anecdotal version of "My Favorite Things" from "The Sound of Music".)  We did, actually, talk about that book while waiting in line because I felt the need to thank her for saving my sanity some days with the humor and insights she provided in the book.

Wow, this is a very tangential post.  (Sorry about the tangent about being tangential.)  Back to the goal-setting!

TOFW tweeted me back and included this article written by Hilary.  (Wow there are a lot of links in this post.  Sorry!  Read that one.  It is very short but very powerful.  Oh, you're not a link-clicker.  Me neither.)  Well, it talks about an experiment she did where she asked for spiritual guidance every day to know "what was most important" for her to accomplish that day.  One of the days, she felt prompted to write a note to her daughter telling her how much she loved her.  It turned out to be just what the daughter needed that day.  I have a quote (possibly originally from Oscar Wilde?) hanging in my office that states, "The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention."  I think I found at least one of my spiritual goals - To know of what small act is the most important to accomplish that day.

Now to move setting goals to achieving goals...

No comments:

Post a Comment